Sunday, April 02, 2006

Year Mark



Just hit the year mark.... hanging out at the training center as I have been helping out with the newly arrived volunteers. Things, having come full circle, are on the up and up. I feel so much confidence now, with language, and culture, and what to expect from the daily routine. Even though that means some of the newness is gone, I feel more comfortable here. I am also beginning to see my new "Pulaar" personality.

I feel it in almost everything I do now: my commanding tone with young people; my ability to haggle over a price difference of twenty cents for thirty minutes or as long as it takes; I have even begun to crave rice and fish when ever I go more than a day or two with out it.

I am happy.

Finally.

It's nice, after so much difficulty, difficulty, difficulty!

Having the new arrivals here acts as some sort of brechtian alienation effect, juxtaposing my current acceptance and patience with their fresh off the 1st world boat paranoia and disgust. It's a great mirror for examining my progress here.

1 comment:

Johann said...

BJ that is so wonderful!

I'm sorry I never respond to your emails. I am never quite sure what to say. But I read them all and keep tabs on you.

Keep sending them my way.

Jon T.